It’s summer time and I have an abundance of vegetables. Especially tomatoes, which I do not mind because who doesn’t love tomatoes. Baked with a yummy cheese goodness, these are also low calorie and a healthy side dish option. Could also be a healthy snack.
You slice the tomatoes and top them with whatever cheese combination you like! I used colby jack, and Parmesan. I also seasoned them with salt, pepper, and a little cajun seasoning. You could use fresh herbs from your garden if you have any as well.
I’ve also thought about topping them with caramelized onions, and fried bacon. I’m thinking that might add a few extra calories, but that’s okay, it will be our secret. =)
Cheesy Baked Tomatoes
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat colby jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- black pepper to taste
- green onions, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450. Spray baking dish with low fat cooking spray.
2. Place tomatoes cut side up on baking dish. Season with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning.
3. Top tomatoes with colby jack and Parmesan cheese mixture. Sprinkle top of cheese mixture with red pepper flakes.
4. Lightly mist with low fat cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes, then top with green onions. Bake 5 more minutes, or until tomatoes are tender.