This soup was one of the first soups I had ever made. I was craving pizza and wanted something that wasn’t as fattening as pizza usually is. I found this recipe in a Southern Living cookbook I have. I just adapted it a bit to fit to my tastes. It’s super simple to make and everyone will love it!! You can substitute things you might like on your pizza in the soup.
Now I love things spicy.. I make this extremely spicy for him. Sometimes up to 4 tablespoons of crushed red pepper. Some people may not like things as spicy, so feel free to add as much or as little red pepper as you like. Be sure you taste your food while you are making it, making sure you have the spices exactly to your liking. This is also at its best when you make it with fresh herbs. It brings out the flavors of the the soup so much more.
I make it with ground sirloin, because its leaner than regular ground beef is. But has more flavor than extra lean ground beef. I have also made with with ground turkey, and it was just as great. Try to use turkey pepperonis to cut some of the fat. I like to use an array of different bell peppers, but if you only have green on hand that’s okay too. Top this soup off with some freshly grated parmesan cheese, and serve it with some crusty garlic bread. And you will have a soup that everyone will love! I hope you enjoy 🙂
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup sliced turkey pepperoni (3 ounces)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of crushed red pepper (optional, only if you like it spicy!)
- Garnishes: sliced fresh basil, shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook ground beef and pepperoni in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Rinse and drain beef mixture.
- Sauté bell peppers, green onions, and garlic in hot oil in Dutch oven 5 minutes. Stir in beef mixture, tomato paste, and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. If desired, garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with garlic bread.